Healthy food for active kids
Question: My son plays lot of sport on the weekends. What can I feed him to make sure he has plenty of energy?
Answer: Sport is an important part of the day for many kids and providing nutritious, energy-rich meals and snacks is vital.
Here are some tips to help your child stay healthy and perform at their best:
- Base main meals around wholegrain breads and cereals, pasta or rice, with plenty of vegetables, legumes and fruits on the side.
- Eating a nutritious meal the night before will help energy levels for the following day.
- Provide healthy snacks to refuel their energy during the day and after they have finished their activity. These could include sliced oranges, a banana or a wholegrain muffin.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of water. Being excited about their sport, they may need a little extra reminder!
- Encourage your child to eat breakfast every day, even if they are a bit nervous or excited about the day ahead it will provide energy to kick off the day full of life!
This information is provided by the Sanitarium Nutrition Service.
Your say: Do you have any tips for feeding active children?
Video: Food allergies in children