- 250g butter
- ½ cup (80g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (225g) plain flour
- ½ cup (75g) cornflour
- butter cream
- 80g butter
- 2/3 cup (110g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- note: this recipe makes about 25 biscuits. unfilled biscuits can be made two weeks ahead and stored in an airtight glass jar. filled biscuits can be made two days ahead.
- Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160°C). Line three baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sifted icing sugar mixture and vanilla with an electric mixer until pale. Stir in the combined sifted flours in two batches.
- With lightly floured hands, roll two level teaspoons of mixture into balls and place on oven tray about 3cm apart. Dip a fork into a little extra flour and press down lightly onto each biscuit to flatten slightly.
- Bake in moderately slow oven for about 15 minutes or until biscuits are a pale straw colour. Stand the biscuits on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For the butter cream, beat the butter, sifted icing sugar mixture and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in the juice.
- To serve, sandwich two biscuits with a teaspoon of the butter cream. Dust with a little extra sifted icing sugar, if desired.
- Unfilled biscuits suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
- Cook's note Have butter for the biscuits and butter cream at room temperature.